SS LANE VICTORY
Class: VC2-AP2 Victory Ship
Length: 455 feet
SS Lane Victory began her first wartime journey on June 27, 1945, in the closing stages of World War II. She delivered munitions, loaded in Port Hueneme, California to Admiralty Island in the Pacific. She went on to serve with distinction in both the Korean and Vietnam conflicts. During the Korean War, Lane Victory's moment of glory came in December 1950, during the evacuation of Korean civilians and United Nations personnel from Wonsan. As the cruiser Saint Paul and destroyers laid down a covering fire, Lane Victory offloaded troops, vehicles and cargo. She then evacuated 7,010 men, women and children, taking them south to safety. When they arrived, 7,011 got off the ship....a baby had been born during the voyage.
In September 1966, Lane Victory joined the Vietnam War effort. She was returned to the Ready Reserve Fleet in 1970. In 1982, the U.S. Merchant Marine Veterans of World War II commenced efforts to acquire her. Their objective was twofold: to have her serve as a living memorial to the men and women of the U.S. Merchant Marine and U.S. Navy Armed Guard; and to operate her as a working museum dedicated to the maritime trades. She was towed from San Francisco to San Pedro in June 1989.
Lane Victory is now fully operational and is supported by 6 'Victory at Sea' WWII-Cruises each summer off Catalina Island. She has also been used as a set for many motion pictures and television productions.
SS Lane Victory is a National Historic Landmark.
Return to the HNSA Home Page.