Type: Landing Ship Tank
During World War II, USS LST-325 was assigned to the European Theater and participated in the Sicilian occupation in July 1943 and the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She was decommissioned on July 2, 1946 and struck from the Navy Register on September 1, 1961. She earned two battle stars for her World War II service.
LST-325 was transferred in 1964 to the Hellenic Navy where she served with distinction for 36 years as Syros (L-144). Through the efforts of a group of American LST veterans, she was donated to the LST Ship Memorial organization by the Greek government in 2000. She was sailed by a crew of these veterans from Greece to the United States. The ship departed Athens on November 14, 2000 and arrived in Mobile, Alabama on January 10, 2001. Port calls were made enroute at Gibraltar and Nassau, Bahamas for repairs, provisions and fuel. She arrived in Evansville in October 2005. Volunteers are restoring the vessel to her World War II configuration.
Return to the HNSA Home Page.