Class: ELCO 80 foot.
Length: 80 feet
Address to Visit:
PT-615 is a 1945 ELCO Patrol Torpedo Boat. PT Boats are small, fast vessels used by the United States Navy in World War II to attack larger surface ships. They also performed intelligence, patrol, mail, pilot rescue and special operations. The PT boat squadrons were nicknamed "the mosquito fleet" because of their small size, high speed and nasty bite. They are constructed of laminated wood frames, with a double planked mahogony hull. She is powered by three 1500 hp engines, and could cruise at speeds of up to 41 knots. PT-615 is undergoing restoration, and available for visitation in Kingston, NY.
PT-615 is owned by Fleet Obsolete, a non-profit devoted to the promotion and restoration of vessels of maritime significance. Fleet Obsolete is also restoring the ex-U.S. Army small tug Gowanas Bay, PT-48 (77' ELCO, 1941, served in the Pacific), PT-459 (78' Higgins, 1944, served in Europe) and PT-728 (73' Vosper, 1945, an example of the boats that were built for Great Britain and Russia under LendLease.)
PT-728 is Coast Guard certified to carry passengers and during the boating season provides underway tours and charters.
PT-728, a sister ship to PT-615 underway in 2008.
Return to the HNSA Home Page.