USS SLATER (DE-766)
Length: 306 feet
USS Slater is the only floating destroyer escort on display in North America. Out of 563 DEs built during World War II, three survive as memorial ships.
USS Slater was initially assigned to convoy and antisubmarine duties in the Atlantic. In May 1945, her torpedo tubes were removed and additional anti-aircraft weapons were added at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. She was then assigned to the Pacific theater. She was decommissioned in 1946.
While in reserve, Slater was transferred in 1951 to the Hellenic Navy where she served with distinction for more than 40 years. Through the efforts of the Destroyer Escort Sailors Association, she was donated to that organization by the Greek government and was towed from Crete to New York City's Intrepid Museum in 1993. In October 1997, Slater was moved to her permanent location in Albany, New York on the Hudson River. Volunteers are restoring the vessel to her 1945 configuration. The ship is playing a significant role in the City of Albany's Hudson Riverfront Development Plan.
USS Slater is listed on the National and New York State Registers of Historic Places.
Return to the HNSA Home Page.