Nantucket at the pier

Class: LV 112 Lightship
Built: 1936
At: Pusey and Jones, Wilmington, Delaware

Length: 148 feet 10 inches
Beam: 32 feet
Draft: 16 feet 3 inches
Displacement: 1,050 tons
Illumination Apparatus: Foremast - Duplex 500mm lens lantern; Mainmast - 400,000 candlepower high intensity revolving light beacon (range: 23 miles)
Propulsion: Built with oil-fired compound reciprocating steam engine and refitted in 1960 with Cooper-Bessemer 900 HP Diesel engine, max speed 12 knots
Fog Signal: 2- tone air diaphone (range - 14 miles) synchronized with radio beacon, submarine oscillator, hand operated fog bell
Armament: Converted to Examination vessel dring WWII (1942-45), one 3" gun; two 50 caliber water-cooled machine guns

Mailing Address:
United States Lightship Museum
(Nantucket Lightship LV-112)
Post Office Box 454
Amesbury, MA 01913-0010
1 (617) 797-0135
FAX 1 (603) 394-0285
[email protected]

Address to Visit:
Boston Harbor Shipyard and Marina
256 Marginal Street
East Boston, MA 02128
Latitude: 42.3610793392, Longitude: -71.0351440045
Google Maps, Microsoft Bing, Yahoo Maps, Mapquest

Nantucket Lightship/LV- 112, the largest U.S. lightship ever built, is the only United States lightship paid for by a foreign government. She replaced Nantucket/LV- 117 which was sunk by the British ocean liner RMS Olympic, sister ship of Titanic. Olympic rammed LV-117 in 1934, while she was assigned to the Nantucket Shoals lightship station, the most remote and dangerous lightship station in the world. LV-112 had no sister vessels and was built to be virtually unsinkable with a high degree of compartmentalization (43 water-tight compartments). LV-112 was also built with a double hull and double shell plating. The Nantucket station is 100 miles off the mainland out to sea and marks the main shipping routes to New York and Boston harbors from Europe. LV-112 was also the only lightship station in the world located in international waters. In addition, LV-112 served on that station until the beginning of World War II when she was taken off station, armed and assigned to the defense of Portland, Maine harbor. She returned to the Nantucket station after the War and served until 1975, when she was replaced by an unmanned large navigation buoy (LNB). Lightship Nantucket/LV-112 survived 39 years of storms at sea and two major hurricanes, a testament to her stout construction. LV-112 served longer than any lightship vessel Nantucket lightship station.

Nantucket Lightship/LV-112 is a National Historic Landmark (1989). Shew was selected as a National Treasure, one of 30 historic sites in the United States by the National Trust for Historic Preservation (2012).

Natucket on station
On station, 1965

Return to the HNSA Home Page.

Copyright © 2012, Historic Naval Ships Association.
All Rights Reserved.
Legal Notices and Privacy Policy
Version 3.01