German U-505

U-505 submarine in the museum.
U-505 at the Museum of Science and Industry.

Class: IX-C German Submarine
Launched: May 24, 1941
At: Deutsche Werft, Hamburg, Germany
Commissioned: August 26, 1941

Length: 252 feet
Beam:22 feet, 4 inches
Draft: 15 feet, 5 inches
Displacement: 1,152 tons (surfaced)
Armament: Six 530mm torpedo tubes; one 105mm gun (lost during British aerial bomb attack 11/10/42 and not replaced); one 37mm gun; two twin 20mm guns

Museum of Science & Industry
5700 Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60637-2093
(773) 684-1414
Fax: (773) 684-5580
Latitude: 41.7912645013, Longitude: -87.5811598203
Google Maps, Microsoft Bing, Yahoo Maps, Mapquest

Operating from Lorient, France, the U-505 was credited with sinking 47,000 tons of allied shipping, including three American ships. As a long-range boat based in the South Atlantic, the U-505 operated in areas such as the waters off Freetown, West Africa, the Panama Canal, Colombia, and Trinidad. During a transit to Trinidad, U-505 was surprised by a British aircraft that dropped three bombs, scoring one direct hit aft of the conning tower. After making emergency repairs, U-505 spent the next month returning home. U-505 earned the distinction of being the most heavily damaged U-boat ever to return home and re-enter service. The second of the three captains assigned to U-505 during the war committed suicide in the conning tower during a heavy depth charge attack, leaving the crew to regain control and find their own way home.

With the aid of Enigma code and radio transmission intercepts, U-505 was tracked and located near Cape Verde Islands. Task Group 22.3, consisting of the escort carrier USS Guadalcanal and five destroyer escorts, was sent to intercept. On June 4, 1944, after persistent hunting, the U-505 was brought to the surface with a depth charge attack from the USS Chatelain. A boarding party from the USS Pillsbury boarded the sub, secured it, and retrieved valuable documents, including code books and the Enigma machine. U-505 became the first enemy ship boarded and captured on the high seas by U.S. forces since the War of 1812.

After the initial capture, U-505 was turned over to USS Abnaki (ATF-96), an ocean going tug, for her tow. She was studied during the war and in 1946 efforts were begun to save her as a museum. Since 1954 U-505 has remained opened to the public in her dry berth exhibit at the Chicago Museum of Science & Industry. She is the only surviving Type IX-C submarine in the world.

U-505 is a National Historic Landmark.

U-505 submarine during the capture.
U-505 Capture

Return to the HNSA Home Page.


Copyright © 1997-2008, Historic Naval Ships Association.
All Rights Reserved.
Legal Notices and Privacy Policy
Version 3.02